Your FAQs for Celebrants in Tasmania

I totally get it! Planning events like weddings, parties or funerals in Tasamania can be a stressful, and you probably have a lot of questions. If you cannot find the answer for your question, please reach out to me on my contact page.

Can I write my own vows?

Yes, you can write your own vows, but I will work closely with you to ensure they are legal and appropriate.

What kind of ceremony can I have?

You can have a traditional or non-traditional ceremony, indoor or outdoor, formal or casual. It’s up to you and I will work with you to create a ceremony that reflects your tastes and preferences.

Do I need to provide any legal documents?

Yes, you will need to provide legal documents such as your birth certificates and drivers licence, or passports, and proof of dissolution of any previous marriages, if applicable, to me so I can submit all the relevant documentation.

Are there any legal requirements for the marriage ceremony?

Yes, there are certain legal requirements that must be met during the ceremony, such as the declarations of legal name and monitum (It is my legal requirement to explain the nature of the marriage ceremony). As your marriage celebrant, I will ensure that these requirements are met during your ceremony.

The law requires two witnesses who are 18 years of age or over to be present during the ceremony and to sign the legal documents. Sorry, your dog, Garry cannot be a witness to your ceremony.

Can I have a ceremony in a language other than English?

Yes, you can have a ceremony in a language other than English, as long as an interpreter is present to translate the ceremony for the celebrant and witnesses.

Do I need to book my celebrant well in advance?

Yes, it’s best to book your celebrant well in advance, ideally at least six to twelve months before your wedding date.

How long does a ceremony typically last?

A typical ceremony usually lasts around 20 – 30 minutes.

Can I have a ceremony in a location of my choice?

Yes, you can have a ceremony at a location of your choice, as long as it is legal and accessible. I will work with you to choose a location that is meaningful and special to you and your partner. Please bear in mind there may be additional fees depending on the travel requirements.

Can my celebrant help me with the paperwork and legal requirements?

Paperwork is a total yawn, but I will help you with all the necessary paperwork and legal requirements, such as lodging the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form and obtaining the marriage certificate. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Can I have a same-sex marriage ceremony?

Absolutaly!! Yes! All couples, regardless of their gender, have the right to marry in Australia. As your marriage celebrant. Love is love, beautiful people!

Question not answered?

Get in touch and I’ll help you out!